Friday, October 06, 2006

Spice Tea

As promised...

Here's my mother's recipe for Spice Tea
Please don't let the ingredients scare you off. Be like an astronaut. Take the plunge. This stuff was sort of an aphrodisiac for me and "James", as he's known in Dirty Sugar Cookies' "Courtesy Bite" chapter. Oh man, I get a little flushed thinking about how long it took those electric burners to glow orange, so we could make for the yard, mugs in hand

Spice Tea
2 cups of Tang
2 cups of unsweetened Nestea - buy the generic because you should never use it for anything else.
2 1/2 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon of ground cloves
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Now either you're having a party, or this batch'll see you through the romance. Whichever way you swing it, place 2 heaping teaspoons in a mug, add a cup of boiling water and stir.




You can also eat it dry, when you have nothing better to do, but watch out, it burns like smoking Tang-flavored crack.

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy Sherman said...

Oh my we drank that in college and called it Russian tea! I can't imagine what is Russia about it...

7:20 PM  
Blogger Quispiam said...

This reminds me a lot of "friendship tea," which I remember as a common Hoosier phenomenon. Just put it in a red and green tin and you've got an Xmas gift for teacher!

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I was just this weekend thinking of this lovely stuff wondering what the recipe was. We called it Russian Tea when I was a child. I wasn't sure I should introduce my child to it but I think I must.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're up and running again, Ayun, welcome back! I've got a lot of catching up to do here.

Oh, and...um...about my post from the other day? No hard feelings, kay? It's your blog and you can do with it what you want. I still buy your books and give them away freely to new moms, travelers and slackers in my midst and it looks like your nice comment may have russled up a few new fans :-)

Thanks for the visit.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i literally grew up on this stuff. my mom called it 'homework tea', cuz she'd make me a mug while i did my homework on drizzly days. brings back good memories...

2:23 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

You are a very entertaining writer... thanks for sharing your thoughts Now, I must get my hands on one of your books! Again, thanks.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home